Bill 18 2011
An Act to amend the Legislative Assembly Act to promote respect for voters
Note: This Act amends the Legislative Assembly Act. For the legislative history of the Act, see the Table of Consolidated Public Statutes – Detailed Legislative History at www.e-Laws.gov.on.ca.
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. The Legislative Assembly Act is amended by adding the following section:
Disqualification through leaving party under which elected
15.1 (1) If a member who is elected to the Assembly while a member of a political party registered under the Election Finances Act leaves that party or a successor of that party, as the case may be, the member is disqualified by law to continue to sit or vote in the Assembly, his or her seat shall be vacated and a writ shall issue forthwith for a new election to fill the vacancy.
(2) If the leader of the political party mentioned in subsection (1) signs a statement that a member described in that subsection has left the party and delivers the statement to the Speaker, the statement is proof, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, that the member has left the party.
(3) A member whose seat is vacated under subsection (1) may be re-elected if he or she is not declared ineligible under this Act.
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
3. The short title of this Act is the Respect for Voters Act, 2011.
The Bill amends the Legislative Assembly Act to provide that a member who is elected to the Assembly while a member of a political party registered under the Election Finances Act is deemed to vacate his or her seat upon leaving that party or a successor of that party.