Bill Pr7 2012
An Act respecting The Royal Conservatory of Music
The board of directors of The Royal Conservatory of Music (the conservatory) has applied for special legislation to amend the provisions of its governing legislation respecting the conservatory’s corporate structure and powers in order to allow the conservatory to be governed in these matters by the Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, 2010. The applicant represents that the conservatory was incorporated by special legislation in 1991.
It is appropriate to grant the application.
Therefore, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Sections 1 and 2 of the Royal Conservatory of Music Act, 1991 are repealed and the following substituted:
1. In this Act,
“board” means the board of directors of the conservatory;
“conservatory” means The Royal Conservatory of Music;
“McMaster Hall” means the lands and premises described as Parts 2 to 52, inclusive, Plan 63R-4860, deposited in the Registry Division of Toronto (No. 63);
“university” means The Governing Council of the University of Toronto.
2. (1) A corporation to be known in English as The Royal Conservatory of Music and in French as Le conservatoire royal de musique is established as a corporation without share capital.
(2) The conservatory may identify itself to the public as The Royal Conservatory of Music of Toronto, The Toronto Conservatory of Music or The Royal Conservatory.
2. Section 4 of the Act is repealed.
3. Sections 5 to 14 of the Act are repealed and the following substituted:
Board of directors
5. The board of directors of the conservatory is composed of,
(a) the chief executive officer of the conservatory; and
(b) such other individuals as may be elected from time to time by the members of the conservatory in accordance with the by-laws.
6. The by-laws and regulations of the board do not require confirmation by the members of the conservatory in order to be effective.
4. Section 17 of the Act is repealed and the following substituted:
17. For the purposes of the Real Property Limitations Act, McMaster Hall shall be deemed to be vested in the Crown for the public uses of Ontario while the property is owned by the conservatory.
5. This Act comes into force on the later of the day subsection 4 (1) of the Not-for-Profit Corporations Act, 2010 comes into force and the day this Act receives Royal Assent.
6. The short title of this Act is the Royal Conservatory of Music Act, 2012.
The purpose of the Bill is set out in the Preamble.