Current Status: First Reading Carried
Bill 91 2012
An Act to amend the Trades Qualification and Apprenticeship Act
Note: This Act amends the Trades Qualification and Apprenticeship Act. For the legislative history of the Act, see the Table of Consolidated Public Statutes – Detailed Legislative History at www.e-Laws.gov.on.ca.
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1. Section 12 of the Trades Qualification and Apprenticeship Act is amended by adding the following subsections:
Ratio of apprentices
(2) Despite the regulations, the number of apprentices who may be employed by an employer in a trade shall not exceed,
(a) if the employer is a journeyperson in the trade, one apprentice plus an additional apprentice for each additional journeyperson employed by the employer in that trade and with whom the apprentice is working; or
(b) if the employer is not a journeyperson in the trade, one apprentice for each journeyperson employed by the employer and with whom the apprentice is working.
(3) Despite subsection (2), a contract of apprenticeship that existed immediately before the day that subsection comes into force shall continue until the completion of the apprenticeship period provided in the contract except if the contract is terminated in accordance with section 15.
2. Clause 26 (1) (k) of the Act is repealed.
3. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.
4. The short title of this Act is the Helping Ontarians Enter the Skilled Trades Act, 2012.
The Bill amends the Trades Qualification and Apprenticeship Act to specify that no more than one person may be apprenticed to each journeyperson of an employer in a trade and to remove the power to make regulations respecting the ratio of apprentices to journeypersons who may be employed by an employer in a trade.