Current Status: First Reading Carried
Labour Relations Amendment Act (Strike and Lock-Out Information), 2017
The Bill amends the Labour Relations Act, 1995 to require employers to provide information regarding strikes, lock-outs and the use of replacement workers to the Minister. The Minister is required to publish the information received.
Bill 118 2017
An Act to amend the Labour Relations Act, 1995 with respect to information relating to strikes and lock-outs
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:
1 The Labour Relations Act, 1995 is amended by adding the following section:
Strike or lock-out to be reported
94.1 (1) An employer whose employees are on strike or are locked out shall report the strike or lock-out in writing to the Minister within 24 hours of learning of the strike or lock-out.
Use of replacement workers to be reported
(2) If an employer whose employees are on strike or are locked out uses the services of one or more replacement workers to do the work of an employee who is on strike or locked out, the employer shall report the following in writing to the Minister within 24 hours of using the services of the replacement worker:
1. The number of replacement workers.
2. The work being performed by each replacement worker.
Same, change in circumstance
(3) The employer shall ensure that the information reported under subsections (1) and (2) is up to date, and shall report any change in circumstances in writing to the Minister within 24 hours of learning of the change.
Publication of information
(4) The Minister shall publish on a Government of Ontario website the information reported under this section within 24 hours of receiving it and shall maintain an archive of all information reported.
(5) In this section, “replacement worker” means a person used by an employer to discharge the duties of an employee who is a member of a bargaining unit that is on strike or locked out and includes a person employed by another employer and a person who is a contractor, but does not include an existing supervisor or manager who covers the employee’s duties.
2 This Act comes into force on the day that is one month after the day it receives Royal Assent.
3 The short title of this Act is the Labour Relations Amendment Act (Strike and Lock-Out Information), 2017.